Nothing is worse than being made a victim of debt collector harassment. Unfortunately, debt collectors will frequently stop at nothing to obtain the debt they believe they are owed. That being said, you should understand that many of the actions debt collectors take often actually violate the law, namely the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). For example, if you were recently threatened by a debt collector, there is a strong chance that you will have a valid claim against them, as debt collectors and debt collection agencies are prohibited from threatening or harassing debtors under the law. Read on and reach out to a seasoned New York City debt collection harassment lawyer from Rahman Legal to learn more about how we can help. Here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the most common threats made by debt collectors?
There are several ways in which debt collectors will harass debtors. Some of the most common threats that we see are as follows:
- Threatening to harm you, your reputation, or your property with violence or other criminal means
- Threatening to sue you, garnish your wages, or seize your assets if they do not have the legal authority or intention to do so
- Threatening to have you arrested or jailed if you do not pay the debt
- Threatening to report false information to a credit bureau or anyone else who may affect your credit rating
- Threatening to disclose your debt to your employer, family, friends, or neighbors
- Threatening to continue contacting you after you have asked them to stop or have notified them that you are represented by an attorney
- Threatening to take any action that is illegal
How can I sue a debt collector who has threatened me?
If you have been threatened by a debt collector in any way, the most important thing you can do is retain the services of a seasoned consumer lawyer who can assess your case, and, from there, determine whether the debt collector truly violated the FDCPA. From there, you and your lawyer will gather and present evidence of the harassment in an effort to prove your claim. Rahman Legal has decades of experience representing victims of debt collection harassment here in New York City, and we are here to put that experience to work for you.
If you have any additional questions or need a lawyer who can effectively advocate for your rights, simply contact us today.