Rahman Legal helps consumers pursue their rights against companies engaging in harassment, deceptive practices, false credit reporting, fraud, racketeering, and other forms of unlawful conduct. Our law firm litigates claims in New York arising under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and other laws enacted to protect consumers. Whether the issue pertains to a bill, a collection letter, or unwanted telephone calls, please contact a seasoned New York consumer lawyer from Rahman Legal if you believe a company has engaged in wrongdoing.
Consumer Lawyer | Fighting for Clients throughout New York State
Here at Rahman Legal, nothing is more important to us than protecting the hard-working men and women here in New York City. You do the right thing and go to your job, day in and day out, and you deserve to keep what’s rightfully yours. Unfortunately, between rampant identity theft, harassing phone calls from debt collectors, and more, it can feel as though someone’s always trying to get what you’ve earned. Our firm is here to put a stop to it.
Our Legal Services
Our New York consumer lawyer proudly handles a wide range of consumer-related matters on behalf of our clients, including the following:
- Consumer Fraud: Were you deceived into buying a defective product? Did a contractor misrepresent his or her services to you intentionally? If you are a victim of consumer fraud, you may have a path to compensation.
- Identity Theft: Having your identity stolen is a harrowing and downright frightening experience. The thought of all your personal information being in the hands of a total stranger is frustrating and can be overwhelming. Our firm is here to help you get your life back.
- Credit Report Issues: Our firm proudly handles a wide range of credit report issues on behalf of our clients, including inaccurate account information disputes and instances of fraudulent credit reporting. If you need help, you’ve come to the right place.
- Debt Collection Harassment: Debt collectors are notoriously ruthless when it comes to getting what they want. However, you should understand that these practices are unlawful, and if you’re currently being harassed, you do have options. Our firm is here to help.
- Debt Collection Defense: If you’re in debt and need a helping hand out, we have your back. We care about you and your right to a debt-free future, and we will do everything in our power to help you get your financial situation back on track.
- Data Breaches: If you recently discovered that your confidential information was compromised in a data breach, speak with Rahman Legal today.
Additional Legal Services
- Environmental Issues: Our law firm has significant experience litigating a wide range of environmental cases on behalf of our clients. From clean water and air issues and beyond, we can help.
- Tenants’ Rights: Landlord-tenant disputes often call for competent legal assistance. If you’re facing an issue with your landlord, our legal team is here to help.
Our Identity Theft Services
Rahman Legal offers clients protection from a wide range of identity theft issues, including:
- Domestic Identity Theft
- Digital Signature Fraud
- Senior Identity Theft
- Unauthorized ATM Charges
- Unauthorized Bank Transfers
- Unauthorized Credit Card Transactions
The Laws Are in Your Favor
The first thing you should understand is that as a United States citizen, there are several federal laws and regulations in place to protect you, the consumer, from harassment and other unfair practices. Some of the most important laws regarding your rights as a consumer are outlined below.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits debt collectors from using harassment and deceptive tactics to collect a debt. The law not only protects consumers against violations by professional collection agencies, but it also applies to law firms, landlords, co-op management companies, foreclosure agents, repossession companies, and many other types of businesses. If you are receiving notices or telephone calls from anyone who claims that you owe a debt, back rent, a fee, or a bill, please call us and we will discuss and evaluate your case.
Here are examples of conduct that may constitute violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act:
- Early morning or late night phone calls to a residence
- Frequent and repeated phone calls during the same day
- Collection calls to family or employers
- Landlord back-rent notices that do not contain proper disclosures
- Improper threats of wage garnishment or lawsuits
- False statements about a debt
- Unlawful foreclosure notices or threats to foreclose on a home
- Vehicle repositions without proper notice
Telephone Consumer Protection Act
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), which was passed in 1991, prohibits calls or texts to a cellular phone by using an automatic dialing system unless there is an emergency, prior express consent, or the call is made to a recently-ported number. The TCPA also prohibits artificial or prerecorded-voice calls to a residential telephone unless certain exceptions apply. If you have been receiving unwanted calls at your cellular or residential line in New York, please call our law firm to discuss your options.
Fair Credit Reporting Act
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”) gives consumers the right to dispute inaccurate information on file with credit-reporting agencies such as Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. These agencies are required to investigate disputes by consumers that are not frivolous. FCRA requires credit-reporting agencies to remove or correct inaccurate information. If your credit report contains inaccurate information, call our law firm to discuss your legal options.
Contact a Consumer Lawyer Today
The bottom line is that if you’re a victim of identity theft, are being harassed by creditors, or otherwise feel your financial future is on the line, our firm is here to help. Contact Rahman Legal today to schedule your initial consultation with our knowledgeable, compassionate, and highly skilled consumer law firm.