How Can I Dispute an Error On My Credit Report?

reviewing credit card statement

Finding an error on your credit report can be confusing and stressful, but fortunately, there are certain steps you can take to ensure the issue is remedied timely. However, in some cases, credit reporting agencies, such as Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax, will refuse to fix these errors. Please continue reading and reach out to a seasoned New York City credit report lawyer to learn more about how you can dispute an error found on your credit report and how our firm can help if a credit reporting agency fails to fix the issue. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How do I dispute an error that I find on my credit report?

Once you discover an error on your credit report, the first thing you should do is gather documentation to help prove the information in your report is inaccurate. This can include bank statements, correspondence with creditors, and more, depending on the error itself. You should also ensure you keep a copy of your credit report and specifically highlight the error(s) in question. From here, you should send a letter to the credit reporting agency in question and clearly state the error(s) found on your report, as well as your name, address, and account information. If you have supporting documentation on hand that can prove the information on your report is inaccurate, you should include a copy of that as well. The credit bureau should investigate the dispute within 30 days, and, as long as they determine there is indeed an inaccuracy on your credit report, they should remove it.

What if the credit reporting agency refuses to fix an error on my report?

If the credit reporting agency refuses to fix an error on your credit report or ignores your request to remedy an error, you should strongly consider hiring a seasoned consumer lawyer. A consumer lawyer can help you file a claim against the agency in question. As long as your attorney can prove that the agency violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act in some way, you should recover compensation to help you deal with the damages you have incurred as a result of the refusal to fix the reporting error.

If you have any additional questions about the FCRA or believe you are a victim of unfair or inaccurate credit reporting, simply contact Rahman Legal for guidance today. Our firm is here to fight for you, every step of the way.

Contact Us Today
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.